Monday, June 20, 2016

The Day I Hoped Would Never Come

When you interview for a position that you really want, you have such an amazing feeling afterwards, knowing you're about to start an adventure in the exact place you know you're meant to be. I spent the last 3 years teaching kindergarten. I never thought or imagined myself being anywhere else. Kindergarten isn't for everyone. It takes a special soul to teach a group of 5 and 6-year old. There are boogers, bathroom accidents, tattling, the constant need to tie shoes, and an array of things that most people don't want to do on a daily basis. I learned how to take everything in stride and remember that they are just tiny humans, needing an endless amount of love everyday when they come to you. I would never have traded it for the world. 

Unfortunately, in the teaching world, nothing is ever guaranteed. Budget cuts and having a section cut from your grade level or having a room full of 25-30 kids with no additional help is the reality of education. Regardless of the grade level we end up in, we have to move on, knowing that we can make a difference anywhere, even if it's in a grade level that you never wished you wanted to have. 

I would like to announce that I am officially moving from kindergarten to 3rd grade language arts and social studies. We are looking to have very low numbers in kindergarten next year, and that certainly doesn't fair well for the low man on the totem pole. I have loved every second of my time in kindergarten and wouldn't change any of it. I went from a timid first year teacher to knowing exactly how I wanted to run my classroom, what I expected from my students, and earning the respect of my littles to have them open their minds and hearts to me. It's no easy task, but it was my absolute favorite. I am looking at my new assignment as an adventure. I will have an amazing team alongside me to guide me through anything I will ever need. I am completely and utterly terrified of STAAR, but I am confident in my education and the capability to mold myself into a different, better teacher for my students, even if it is in a grade level that I know little to nothing about. PLUS, the group coming up for this next year will be the group that was in my first kindergarten class. I am so looking forward to the comfort of familiarity in that was, especially with the awesome parents I will have. 

I would appreciate any advice for a new to 3rd grade teacher, blogs to follow, TpT stores to checkout, advice on class decor or room arrangement. I have a slew of amazing teachers out there, and I would love to hear from you. 

Thanks in advance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment