Friday, July 1, 2016

Five for Friday!

Another week of summer gone. One week closer to school starting back up. I might normally say I'm sad about the days going by so quickly, but I am so excited for the next year to start. I have mentioned before that I am changing grade levels. It's going to be a huge change, but I can't wait to start my new adventure. I have lots of fun things included in this post, so read on to see what my week as looked like. 

GET YOUR TEACH ON. 
It is totally necessary to bold and ALL CAPS that title. If you haven't heard of "Get Your Teach On," it is a two-day conference put on by the fabulous Hope King and Deanna Jump. There were a bunch of other wonderful teacher authors who also shared a lot of great wisdom with two giant rooms full of teachers ready to be poured into. 



Some of my biggest take-aways came from the very last session where we talked about the top 10 ways to get our teach on:
10. What's your hook?
9. Get off your seat and move your feet.
8. Never underestimate the power of relationships. 
7. It's not all fun and games. Find a balance between rigor and fun. 
6. Good vibrations. "The more we elevate one another, the stronger we all become." - Kim Bearden
5. Fire it up! "Be the energy you want to attract."
4. Be unpredictable! 
3. Choose JOY.
2. Go for it! Don't miss the moment by staying inside your comfort zone.
1. Don't hide behind "I can't."

I highly encourage all of you, if you haven't already, to find those positive teachers who uplift on a daily basis and model after them. We are in this together, y'all! We have to find those people who are doing this for the kids, not for themselves. 

I finished catching up on Grey's Anatomy last week, so I decided to move on to another series that I left behind awhile ago: PLL. I feel kind of like a high schooler watching it. I can't help it, though. I always get sucked in. 
After this series I think I'm all caught up on old series that I neglected to finish or keep up with many years ago. Any new suggestions are welcome! 

Alright, I decided on a new book for this week. It's called Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I knew I wanted to read more of Flynn's books as soon as I finished Gone Girl. And I just saw not two minutes ago that Dark Places was made into a movie that was released last year. WHAT?! I must watch it as soon as I'm done with the book. I also discovered that Mary Kubica has a book that I haven't heard of before called Don't You Cry. That will be next up on my list.  



Have any of y'all done pen pals before? Now that I will be in third grade, I really want to try doing pen pals this year. A colleague of mine and I met some great teachers at the GET YOUR TEACH On and talked with them about the possibility of doing pen pals with each other. They are from Indiana, and I think it would be awesome for my kiddos to experience a place unlike Texas. I found this super cute idea from a fellow Texas teacher for putting all the letters together at the end of the year. If you have done pen pals in the past, did you like it? Was it easy to get your kids excited about it? What did you have your kids write about (specific prompts or did they write about anything)? I would love any input.


I am very interested in starting a focus wall for this next year. It would be a great to have everything in one central place. I would like to set it up like the one below but add social studies and writing with it. Do any of you use a focus wall? Have you noticed any difference in your class?


Happy Friday, y'all!
P.S. Make sure you are following my store Kinder Happenings
I will be having a sale July 3rd-July 5th!

2 comments:

  1. Dark Places is a great book! The movie...ehh. Definitely not the same quality as Gone Girl. I got that Mary Kubica book to read on my Kindle while I'm on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to go to The Get Your Teach On conference in March when it was in Orlando! I absolutely loved it and took away so many things!! They didn't have the cute shirts then!! You lucky duck! My highlight was getting to meet and talk to Deanna! She was so sweet. It was a lot of fun to see her in action! Have a great weekend! Linda's Learning Loot

    ReplyDelete